Do you have sensitive skin?
Have tried many chemically formulated skincare products but your skin has always reacted badly to them?
Here, I will show you 7 simple and natural DIY skin care recipes that are gentle enough for your skin.
Before we jump in to that, it is important to know if you have sensitive skin. Learn the 5 most common skin reactions. If you experience at least 3 of them, chances are that your skin is sensitive.
5 MOST COMMON SKIN REACTIONS
1. Taut Skin
After you used a cleanser or make-up remover, you noticed that your skin feels tight. This means that the product is too harsh for your skin and strips away natural oil and moisture, leaving your skin feeling dry and sometimes itchy.
Avoid cleansers and soaps that contain ingredients like sodium lauryl sulfate and ammonium laurel sulfate known to be skin irritant.
2. Burning & Stinging
This can be the due to a weaker skin barrier or certain ingredients in skin care product. As your skin ages, it produces lesser natural oils and lipids. They are what holds skin cells and proteins together. When the skin weakens its protective barrier, irritants and chemicals can penetrate and cause inflammation and burning, stinging sensation to the skin.
Avoid using products with too many ingredients. Avoid acidic ingredients like Alpha (AHA), Beta (BHA) Hydroxy Acid, glycolic acid, lactic acid, benzoic acid and salicylic acids. Acids can sting after penetrating the skin.
3. Flaky Red Patches
This could mean that your skin barrier function has a problem. The skin is not able to retain moisture sufficiently.
Reduce the use of chemically formulated skin care products. If the flaky patches persist, consult a dermatologist as it could be eczema.
4. Red Small Bumps
If your skin itches, it can be an allergic reaction from chemicals in skin care product.
Check that it only happens when you use a certain product. Sometimes, ingredients like parabens, fragrances, alcohol and artificial dyes can trigger allergic reaction.
5. Puffy Red Eyes
This could be due to certain ingredients or fragrances added to eye creams or eye masks.
The skin under the eye is very delicate. It is recommended to use products containing natural ingredients. Avoid rubbing your eyes.
WHAT YOU SHOULD AVOID FOR SENSITIVE SKIN
- 1Alcohol-based toners or skin care products
- 2Coarse facial scrubs (such as those containing plastic microbeads)
- 3Drying clay masks
- 4Alpha hydroxy & glycolic acids (commonly found in chemical peel)
- 5Synthetic fragrance
- 6Synthetic preservative
- 7Exposing to extreme temperatures (hot/cold)
- 8Tanning / Sun damage
- 9Hot showers
DIY SKIN CARE RECIPE FOR SENSITIVE SKIN
If you have sensitive or dry skin, you need to take care and avoid using harsh products that can overly stimulate your skin.
Since your face is exposed to elements (sun, cold, wind) more than your body, your face is more sensitive and requires extra care.
Try these natural homemade DIY skin care recipes that are gentle on the skin!
#1 DIY skin care recipe for sensitive skin
Oatmeal Gentle Scrub
½ cup ground oatmeal
½ cup powdered milk
- Mix well in a jar.
- Mix 2 teaspoons of water to form smooth paste.
- Massage on face and neck.
- Rinse with water.
Ground oatmeal are very gentle and fine, so it will not hurt your skin.
#2 DIY skin care recipe for sensitive skin
Gentle Makeup Remover
50ml sweet almond oil
3 drop essential oil of your choice
- Place a few drops of oil onto your palm and apply onto face in circular motion.
- Wash off with warm water and a gentle cleanser.
I have used chemically formulated makeup remover in the past but they always leave my skin feeling tight and uncomfortable. I love this natural method.
#3 DIY skin care recipe for sensitive skin
#4 DIY skin care recipe for sensitive skin
#5 DIY skin care recipe for sensitive skin
Delicate Facial Oil
1 capsule evening primrose oil
2 drops essential oil of sandalwood
2 drops essential oil of neroli
1 drop vitamin E oil
- Pour apricot kernel oil into a dark glass bottle.
- Prick the capsule and squeeze in.
- Drop in essential oils and vitamin E.
- Cover and store in a dark, cool place.
- Always share well before use.
#6 DIY skin care recipe for sensitive skin
Banana Yogurt Mask
1/2 cup plain yogurt
2 tbsp raw honey
- Mash the banana in a bowl.
- Stir the remaining ingredients together.
- Apply on cleansed face.
- Leave on for 15 minutes.
- Rinse with lukewarm water.
#7 DIY skin care recipe for sensitive skin
Sensitive Skin Mask Peel
1/4 cup apple juice
1/4 cup pure rose water
1 packet unflavored gelatin
- Mix apple juice and rose water together.
- Place water mixture in double boiler.
- Add gelatin and stir continuously until completely dissolved.
- Continue to heat the mixture for 1 minute while stirring mixture.
- Remove from heat and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Spread a thin layer over face (use brush for easier application).
- After it is dried, peel off and rinse with water.
Other related content:
Do you have other homemade skin care remedies to share? Leave a comment below!
Share these practical skin care tips: